The Perfect Machine
- Always use a solid state drive - SSD.
- CPU and memory should be sufficient to allow for the use of following applications in parallel:
- VOIP (voice over IP) with screen sharing and/or and screen recording. For ex: skype, hipchat, zoom.us, google hangouts, webex, slack, joinme etc.
- Browsers with multiple tabs and/or sessions
- Terminal or CMD prompt
- Specifications should actively discourage the use of functionality which is better off on a cloud-box. Using a cloud-box sets a better precedent for how your developers perceive the deployment cycle from start to finish. This devops-first approach works in the best interest of a developer's skillset and the company's bottom line.
- We recommend Apple 13 inch macbook air
- 1.6GHz CPU
- 8GB Memory
- 256GB SSD
- roughly 1,200 USD
- This still might be just a tad too powerful!
- Even with these models, we haven't been able to get some of our developers to see the light: "Always build and run in docker with the cloud-box."